Open Call for Artist Facilitators: Multilingual Family Art Club
Tŷ Pawb is seeking expressions of interest from artists who are bilingual (or multilingual) to deliver monthly sessions as part of our reimagined Family Art Club.
Tŷ Pawb is a cultural community resource, bringing together arts and markets within the same footprint. This coexistence celebrates the significance of markets within Wrexham’s cultural heritage and identity. Tŷ Pawb is a space for dialogue around subjects including social and civic issues, the environment, health, cultural identity, sustainability and education.
Family Art Club has been a consistent part of the Tŷ Pawb programme since our launch, offering families the opportunity to engage with artist-led creative making every Saturday morning in term time. The club encourages making not just for children, but for parents and carers as well. The club is offered on a ‘pay what you can’ basis.
As part of our ongoing mission to reflect and engage with Wrexham’s diverse communities, we are changing the format of Family Art Club to incorporate a broader range of delivery languages than just Welsh and English.
Multilingual Family Art Club will welcome families of all backgrounds to participate. While the emphasis is on art, sessions will be offered bilingually, giving families the opportunity to take part in the artist’s first/additional language or in English. They should accommodate both first language speakers and beginners, with an emphasis on having fun and ‘giving it a go’ over formal teaching of either English or another language.
Four artists will deliver the programme, each leading one session per month. Artists will meet regularly to ensure that activities offer enough variety of materials and techniques for families to try.
- Registered self-employed and eligible to work in the UK
- Able to communicate to a good standard in English or Welsh in addition to being able to communicate to a good standard in another language
- Experience of developing and delivering high quality creative participatory arts activities for children, supporting different needs and abilities within a group environment
- Strives to create a warm, welcoming and inspiring learning experience for a diverse range of families
- Committed to upholding our safeguarding policy procedures to ensure the wellbeing and safety of our participants
- This role is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
To provide session plans in advance to the Arts Engagement Coordinator.
To ensure that appropriate equipment and materials are prepared in advance of the sessions, (with assistance from Tŷ Pawb caretakers setting-up tables and chairs).
To research, design and deliver 6 creative workshops, these should:
- Be inspired by Wrexham’s cultural diversity or Wrexham as The Capital of Play
- Include a range of art forms, techniques and materials
- Be suitable for families with children aged 4-11 years
- Be inclusive for all participants regardless of their language ability
To collect and record information for our reporting commitments including:
- Participant attendance numbers
- Participant feedback
- Photo consent forms and photographs of the sessions (both to be provided to our Marketing Officer)
To ensure that the Useful Art Space and Family Art Club Cupboard are returned to a good state of condition at the end of the session, and that all materials and equipment is stored safely and tidily.
To comply with Tŷ Pawb health and safety, safeguarding and environmental policy, and to treat everyone involved in the project in a respectful, equitable manner.
Fee & Timeline
We are looking to deliver a total of 40 sessions across 2023/24.
This means that each artist involved on the project will deliver 10 sessions each at a rate of £125 per session, resulting in a total fee of £1250.
In addition, each artist will manage a project budget of up to £250 to pay for any specialist materials or equipment not already available in Tŷ Pawb.
Multicultural Family Art Club will launch on Saturday 4th February.
Expressions of Interest
To express your interest in this role, please email a CV and any relevant web links to email@example.com Links could include a portfolio, videos under 5 minutes, social media or other content that demonstrates your suitability for the role.
We welcome applications from speakers of all additional languages (including British Sign Language), especially those most used in Wrexham including Polish (2.49%) and Portuguese (0.53%).
The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of Tŷ Pawb’s ‘Arte Util’ ethos.